If there is one word to describe carpet cleaning, it would be “sophisticated”. Carpets are decorative and functional pieces of home fixture that have been used for hundreds of years.
It functions as a cushion for homes with young kids and as protection against floor scratching due to metal, or wood furniture.
Reasons to Keep it Clean
Keeping the carpet clean all the time is not just for aesthetic purposes. Here are a few reasons why you should keep it clean all the time:
- Mold – Since carpet acquires moisture and receives ample amount of food traces, it’s not uncommon for it to become a home for mold. Some types of mold can be really detrimental for human health. In addition, you don’t want to live in a home that smells like mold, do you?
- Dust – Another reason to keep it clean is dust. There are different types of dust, and some of them are capable of contributing to health problems. Dust accumulation can also lead to allergic reactions.
- Pollutants – This is one of the things you really want to avoid. Pollutants not only destroy your home, but it can also adversely affect your health too.
- Aesthetic Value – This is an obvious reason; you don’t want your visitors or parents-in-law to tell you that you can’t even clean your house properly.
These are just a few of the reasons that should compel you to learn to clean your dirty carpet.
Techniques and Tips
Here are a few simple, but useful carpet cleaning tips that you should familiarize yourself with:
- Agitate – By scrubbing and agitating the carpet through the use of a carpet brush, you can slowly remove soil, dust and pollutants that are stuck within the fibers. This simple method should be carried out every week.
- Chemicals – To get rid of smell and bacteria, it’s best to use only organic solutions. If you’re worried about the effect of chlorine, or other inorganic chemicals, then you should try using the enzyme-based ones. You need to soak your carpet for a day and allow the enzymes to handle the disintegration of bacteria along with other microorganism, while making it smell great.
- Stains – For those who have issues with stains, combine warm water and vinegar in equal amounts; add a teaspoon of enzyme based carpet cleaner. Use a brush, or sponge, to slowly clean the stained area. This should be done before soaking in enzyme solution.
- Heat – It’s a fact that the carpets tend to receive it’s fair share of spills. For carpets that are tainted with grease and oil, it’s best to subject it to water between 100-180 degrees Celsius in order to ensure that the chemical spill breaks away.
- Fats and Oils – For this type of spill, it’s best to use dry chemicals or solvents that would attract the oils and fats.
The above carpet cleaning tips and techniques can all be carried out with just your hands (no machine necessary). You shouldn’t need to worry about any infection or reactions because there aren’t really any harmful chemicals being used here. However, don’t forget to practice caution when carrying out these tasks.